Field Service Install Technician
Surf Air Wireless is a fast growing company serving North West Indiana, North East Illinois, South and Central Michigan with Fixed Wireless Broadband Internet.
This is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and learn about Internet Service Provider operations while growing your technical and craft skills in a fast paced family atmosphere. Surf Air has more to offer including - competitive pay, benefits, a fun work environment and opportunities for career advancement.
The Field Installation Technician is the face of Surf Air Wireless serving as the front-line representative and a key member of our service-oriented team. Responsibilities include completing installs, uninstalls, surveys, and service calls at customer locations while regularly climbing ladders and working on rooftops.
- Works outside or inside customer’s home or business to complete installations and repairs.
- Regularly climbs ladders and works on rooftops while performing installations and repairs.
- Occasionally climbs residential TV antenna-type towers as tall as 100ft while performing installations and repairs
- Troubleshoots by attempting to identify and remedy sources of internet or customer-perceived problems.
- Prepares for daily work assignments by requisitioning equipment and supplies from warehouse, and stocking vehicle as needed.
- Maintains company truck and other equipment per service requirements and safety guidelines.
- Drives company truck between office and work sites in a safe and courteous manner, and in accordance with all laws and company policies.
- Communicates with immediate supervisor and monitors provided software throughout the day for information regarding changes to work schedule and for technical assistance at an installation or service call.
- Interacts with customers in a professional, courteous manner including when responding to escalations and repeat customer concerns.
- Completes basic performance testing and setup of installed services, including PC, Local Area Network, and/ or functionality of Voice over Internet Protocol telephone equipment.
- Educates customers on the features and functionality of installed products.
- Promotes Surf Air Wireless services to generate new accounts, service upgrades or additional services by explaining the advantages of additional products and services.
- Explains service authorization form and any other associated billing or service questions.
- Cleans work area upon completion of job.
- Participates in team meetings as scheduled.
- Applies knowledge and skills acquired through training to relevant aspects of work activities.
- Reports and records work order status updates as required through the customer management and scheduling software.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance required. Works on regularly scheduled days as well as unscheduled days and beyond regular work hours due to customer or operational demands, as needed.
- Follows all company standard procedures, policies and safety practices in the course of performing work activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required; post-high school education a plus
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record in accordance with Surf Air’s Company Vehicle Policy
- Excellent customer service, time management, and decision-making skills
- Working knowledge of PC and Google Docs products
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently with limited supervision to complete tasks, respond to department requests, collaborate with others to utilize resources, and apply knowledge to identify quality solutions
- Ability to interact and communicate appropriate information to customers and team members in a professional manner
- Ability to effectively maintain professional appearance and demeanor in a variety of work environments
- Basic understanding of electronics, connectivity concepts
- Ability to work required shifts and overtime (as necessary)
- Ability to travel and provide service in assigned geography
Employee is constantly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Must possess physical conditioning and stamina to climb heights up to 100 feet and perform physically demanding tasks at such heights. Must be able to frequently climb a ladder and work in an elevated position. On a constant basis, must safely lift, carry and maneuver heavy or awkward objects 75 pounds or more, with or without assistance. Must be able to work safely in a field or office environment. Must be adept at working in adverse weather conditions including but not limited to; rain, snow, heat, cold, and ice.
Daily travel within the Company’s geographical footprint is required.